I hope you're having a wonderful week and are gearing up for a great holiday weekend. I can't believe it's almost the 4th of July - it's been far too wet and rainy around here, and I feel like summer hasn't gotten into full swing yet. Bring on the sun already!
You may remember that I quit my corporate job of over 20 years back in 2013, to stay home and pursue the things that I love (for which I am eternally grateful), and in my excitement, I hit local garage sales, scooping up furniture pieces to redo. One of those pieces is this desk. And yes, I've worked on it, but then procrastinated, worked, procrastinated. You get the idea. I am the Procrastination Princess sometimes.
The desk was pink, and pretty beat up, with the paint chipping all over it.
Underneath the pink paint, there was green paint, so I figured the best way to redo it would be to strip the paint and get down to the bare wood. This is where the procrastination took hold. I hate stripping furniture. You can see the detail work around the drawers, so it made it even more tedious.
It was also rocking out some vintage hardware.
You can see where I began stripping the paint this photo (along with my garage sale hoard). Hot mess.
I'm happy to report that this desk is finally done. Originally, I was going to put it in my daughter's room, but she has inherited my son's old desk, and the curves of this desk don't really work with her room, so I'm selling it.
I'm really pleased with how it turned out, even though it took, um, two years.
I added some mint green glass pulls from D. Lawless Hardware. They are the icing on the cake for this desk.
The top of this desk was in rough shape, and when I went to paint it, you could really see the imperfections.
Enter my new favorite wood grain filler - Faux Effects Master Finishing Medium.
It's super easy to work with and sand smooth. I might have to give it a try on some oak cabinets and see how it works on hiding the grain. I think it could be a great tool to add to my painting arsenal for that very purpose.
You can see how nice and smooth the top of the desk looks now. Great stuff!
As for paint, I used Benjamin Moore's Advance paint in White Dove for the base, and General Finishes Milk Paint in Lamp Black on the top, with a couple of coats of poly to help it hold up against wear and tear. I'm really loving the Milk Paint - it's easy to work with and gives a really nice finish.
There you have it! Project complete!